What should I eat for better blood circulation?
Circulation of anything in the body is carried out by one of the 5 major types of Vaatas (Air + Space elements), called the ’Vyaana Vaata’
The Vyaana Vaata has its origin at the heart. And a proper functioning of the heart plays an essential role in maintaining a good blood circulation. Vyaana Vaata can be understood as a driving force for:
- Keeping the heart in a pumping action
- To ensure an appropriate force is present in the ‘Arterial’ blood, which reach the organs from the heart
- Lastly, to make sure the venous blood reaches back to the heart
I would like to introduce you to ‘the Secondary Heart’. Calf Muscles (the Soleus muscle) are named as the secondary heart. The up-and-down movement of the calf muscles, (as in during walking) helps in an easy and efficient return of the venous blood from the lower limbs back to the Heart.
What to eat for the betterment of blood circulation are:
- Arjuna bark powder - 1/4 teaspoon in 1/2 glass Cow’s milk and 1/2 glass water, Boil, Filter and add appropriate rock candy sugar for taste. (People who have a history of Diabetes mellitus can avoid the sugar)
- Mango fruit (make sure it is consumed in the Summer season only)
- Tamarind or Kokum (Garcinia Indica)
- Vitamin C containing fruits such as Amalaki (Indian Gooseberry), Sweet lime, Orange, Citrus Medica
For ensuring the ‘secondary heart’ helps the ‘primary heart’, one should consider doing the following:
- Walking at least 100 steps a day
- While seated on a chair with legs hanging down, up and down movement of the lower limbs
- Yoga Asana such as Jaanu Shirshasana, Ushtrasana, Shashankhasana, Setu Bandhasana, Bhujangasana, Surya Namaskara.
- Pranayama such as Deep breathing, Ujjayi breathing, Naadi Shodhana
- Mudra like Vyana Mudra,